From Missouri Digital News: https://mdn.org
Stories by Edward Klump include:
- 5/ 5/1999: Newspaper Story - A wrap-up of Wednesday's legislative action.
- 5/ 3/1999: Newspaper Story - As the Senate debate on partial-birth abortion has continued, the chamber's five women have been largely on the outside looking in.
- 4/29/1999: Newspaper Story - Intitiative petitions on conservation issues would be tougher to pass under a bill approved by the House on Thursday.
- 4/27/1999: Newspaper Story - In the wake of shootings in Colorado last week, Gov. Mel Carnahan created a task force to study school violence Tuesday.
- 4/20/1999: Newspaper Story - At times the atmosphere inside Missouri's Capitol Tuesday seemed more like that of Faurot Field than of a place of government business.
- 4/15/1999: Newspaper Story - The Senate moved one step closer Tuesday to toughening the punishment for hate crimes against gays and the disabled.
- 4/ 8/1999: Newspaper Story - Rep. Quincy Troupe, D-St. Louis, has been an outspoken champion of issues that many of his colleagues have swept under the rug.
- 4/ 6/1999: Newspaper Story - Various proposals before the General Assembly would establish a program to provide grants to schools for enhanced reading programs and give schools more control over student promotion.
- 3/ 9/1999: Newspaper Story - A proposed sales tax increase to finance highway construction is expected to be reviewed by the legislature's joint committee on transportation Wednesday afternoon.
- 3/ 5/1999: Newspaper Story - Missouri's secretary of state announces she won't run for relection, the House speaker promptly announces his candidacy.
- 3/ 3/1999: Newspaper Story - In the face of approaching term limits, the Senae approved a plan Wednesday that would fatten lawmakers' retirement funds.
- 3/ 2/1999: Newspaper Story - While most Americans may be tired of hearing about sex, the Missouri legislature just can't seem to get enough of it. Two lawmakers have proposed standards for sex education in recent weeks.
- 2/23/1999: Newspaper Story - Rep. Emmy McClelland, R-St. Louis County, is sponsoring a bill that would require the Education Department to promote service learning.
- 2/ 9/1999: Newspaper Story - Hundreds of home-school families took a field trip to the Capitol on Tuesday. But they didn't come just to learn about state politics.
- 2/ 2/1999: Newspaper Story - Rep. Quincy Troupe, D-St. Louis, is sponsoring a bill that would require employers to give former welfare recipients the same rights as existing workers.
- 1/28/1999: Newspaper Story - Missouri judges will get a pay increase of 11 percent on average, but lawmakers won't receive a similar salary hike thanks to legislative inaction Thursday.
- 1/19/1999: Newspaper Story - Mark McGwire hit 70 home runs last year as he smashed baseball's old single-season record. But thanks to the Missouri legislature, Big Mac's name may soon be linked to the number 70 for a different reason.
- 1/14/1999: Newspaper Story - The dark TV sets and silent radios in state offices offered no clue that the U.S. Senate was trying a president for only the second time in history.
- 1/12/1999: Newspaper Story - Columbia Senator Ken Jacob was named chairman of the Senate Insurance Committee.
Missouri Digital News is produced by Missouri Digital News, Inc. -- a non profit organization of current and former journalists.